Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What about the Grasshoppers?

Just a quick note about one of my many thoughts...

A while back, in our Public History class, there was a reading we did on a young historian who went into a small museum and changed the complete set up of the place without anyone’s consent.

Now to be honest, this initially made me laugh and I’ll tell you why. I’m from Port Colborne, Ontario, which is located on Lake Erie. Our ‘little city that can’ (yep! It’s on a city sign...) has a nice little museum called the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum and Heritage Village. Now, I know I haven’t been there in ages but I have no doubt in my mind that it’s still doing quite well. A few weeks ago, the head curator, Virginia Anger I believe, announced her retirement. (Thanks Mrs. Anger for your hard work and best wishes in your retirement) Now my first thought was ‘Oh man! I’m coming out of a Public History Masters degree and she’s retiring now?? Why not wait another year and I can be hired on to help there! But of course, my daydreams and my reality never match up. Anyways, while doing this reading, I couldn’t help but wonder what I would change if I worked there. Its main focus is Marine history and a bit of the city’s history from the 1800s to the early 1900s. However, I’ve always been interested in adding a bit more. (I will admit, however, that I’m unacquainted with the museum’s collection and, as a result, I’m unaware of what its potential is.) What about the native history in the area? I know most Port residents can remember the tale of the Grasshopper war that happened in the Tennessee road area. (it was part of a small pamphlet written by Varina Davis, wife of US Confederate president Jefferson Davis) Wouldn’t that be neat if we could get a small exhibit on that? Or how about Port Colborne’s experience in the War of 1812? We’re only 30 minutes from Queenston Heights; there must be something on that! Anyways...that reading just made me laugh because I know in my head I was thinking about the ways I could improve and expand my own city’s little museum. Although, I would be smart enough to consult the community and the museum’s stakeholders, unlike the character in the article.

(Since I haven’t been there in a few years, I plan on visiting the museum in the next few months to ensure that my ideas for additional exhibits haven’t already been taken care of. I’ll let ya know how it goes!)

No comments: